Yesterday was a cooking day. Yay! I made homemade wontons (except for the skins – ain’t nobody got time for that – those came from the grocery store). These were pork wontons, and the filling was a conglomeration of several different recipes. The filling was exactly what I had wanted…so delicious! This was my first time making wontons, and they were surprisingly easy.
Here’s the filling. That’s 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger,
1 pound of ground pork, 2 Tbsp finely chopped green onions,
Then I added 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp dry sherry, 2 tsp rice wine vinegar, 1 tsp sesame oil, and a pinch of kosher salt, and mashed it all together with my hands. I love hands-on cooking!
Next, I tore into the package of wonton wrappers. They are thinner than I had expected, and very durable. I kept them damp under a washcloth, and then took one out, moistened its edges, and plopped some wonton filling in the middle – probably slightly less than a tablespoon per wonton.
Fold (that white stuff on the plate is starch from the wonton wrappers)
Then stuck the little tips together (they stick very well with the just a little water on the wrapper). Here’s what they look like before they get boiled.
And after they got boiled. They are just boiled in plain water. You drop them gently into the water, and when they float, supposedly they are done. However, as it is raw pork, I didn’t trust that, so I boiled them for just a little while after they floated. I boiled them in batches of 5 or 6, so they wouldn’t stick together.
I think I boiled 26 altogether. They are lovely, aren’t they?
I made some really simple broth for them, and voilà! Soup!
The wonton wrapper package didn’t specify how many skins were in there, but there were a lot. My pound of pork made 45 wontons (I froze 19 raw wontons, too), and there are still wrappers left over. Here are the frozen ones.
It was a pretty rewarding cooking experience. I always like it when I learn something new. I think I may try deep frying the frozen wontons at a later date.
My friend Mary introduced me to homemade mustard sometime last summer. Holy cow. It was a life-changing experience. She gave me the recipe, and I finally put it together at the end of September. It had to sit in the fridge for a month, and it’s finally done!
Here’s the beginning, when I first put it together:
The actual day for blending was a few days ago, but today was the day. Here’s what the mustard looked like when I took it out of the fridge today.
It seemed a little too watery when I took it out out of the fridge.
…but I figured I’d trust the recipe, and *glug* into the blender, and vrrrooooom!
Here’s the finished product – delicious, and worth the wait!
On reflection, I think I blended it more than I wanted to. Something to remember next time.
Thanks for stopping by, reading, and commenting! XO